- Month Before Spring by Gail Maifeld
- Bring on Spring!
- Plan now for a Colorful Spring with Bulbs!
- Growing Healthy Vegetables
- Native Trees – A Good Choice for the Home Landscape
- Soar Like a Butterfly
- Make Your Landscape Delicious
- Hot Annuals for a Cool Spring
- Myths and Facts about Iris
- Correction: Get Your Garden Started – With or Without Spring
Month Before Spring by Gail Maifeld
T’was a month before spring Ground covered with snow Cardinal and Chickadees to feeders must go And Voles munch under the snow. My eyes had grown dull Reruns and Netflix has lost any glow When my eyes fell to my watch 2:45- time to get up and go. With deliberate effort I bundled up Temperatures had fallen well below. Open the door, breath in, look up Gently guiding my feet outward to my goal. Flip open the flap, insert a gloved hand Extract a bundle and hear kerplop A bright glossy patch reflects in the snow Like a promise of something new to unfold. What to my inquiring eye should appear? Oh joy! A seed catalog! I drew the bold words near “Colorful Companions of nonstop Beauty” foretold. Energizing my step and lengthening my stride Quickly to the house I sped. While visions of Calibrachoa and petunias Danced in my head. Hmmm – what color for pots? New bed? Lemon Sorbet or new zinnia seeds All forecast for perfection If planted IPM! The teapot now empty ; the catalog spent My gaze drifted outside to snow covered beds While a little voice whispered Take Heart! Spring is ahead.